Okura Shukokan is an art museum founded by Kihachiro Okura. Since the Meiji Restorasion in 1868, he devoted himself not only to the development of industry and foreign trade in the newly rising Japan, but also made a great contribution to fostering educational and welfare services in the Meiji Era(1868-1912). For him it was a tragedy to see so many of Japan's cultural treasures leaving the country. He, therefore, willingly offered himself as a guardian and promoter of our original culture, and eventually donated to the public a mass of cultural property which he had collected during an expanse of over half a century since the Restoration, together with land , buildings, and supporting funds. This is the Foundation called the Okura Shukokan, established in August, 1917. It was indeed a forerunner of private art museums in Japan.
Having been established at this time, this museum was exposed to the Great Earthquake and fire of 1923, and a vast quantity of its collection was lost to us. However, renewed efforts were made under the direction of Dr. Chuta Ito, to reconstruct a new quake-and-fire-proof gallery, which was opened to the public in October, 1928. The museum, containing original items which escaped the catastrophe together with additions made since that time, was thus restored.
Kishichiro Okura, who acted in accordance with the will of the deceased Kihachiro, gave generous support to the maintenance of the gallery during and after World War II. He personally donated a large amount of important cultural property which he himself had collected during his lifetime, which constitute a substantial addition to the bequeathed wealth of the museum.
The collection consists of about 2500 works of art, and about 1000 volumes of books. The entire collection includes 3 National Treasures, 13 Important Cultural Properties, and 44 Important Art Objects.
Kihachiro Okura(right) The Okura Shukokan(Okura museun of art)
Since April 1st 2014, We are temporarily closed for renovation.